Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

As with all great books, I account myself among the audience that clutches this little yellow-green book to their chests going "please, don't mess this one up hollywood.... If you can grant any wish please let it be this one."

This was the book, that back when I first read it changed my life, some read catcher in the rye with wide eyes singing its praises, while I found Holden whiny and incapable in changing his life without talking obsessively about how truly innocent his sister was, when the likely hood of that delusion being true was probably at the same level as him doing something useful with... well anything. I was the kid huddled close to my battle worn copy of this book going, This Charlie, this I understand... I know where you are, where you've been I've been where you've been this is not JUST a story!

So to say I walked into the theater with sweaty palms and a silent prayer on my lips is putting it lightly, in fact to go see this movie I insisted on seeing it alone at the emptiest showing possible (which i am now grateful for) but then seemed like an obscene request to the woman at the ticket booth. I sat down with bias feeling, horribly high pretending to be low expectations and found them met with a cathartic cry of jubilee.

This movie was a perfectly artistic blend of book and film, along with an expertly written dialogue, a magical feeling flash back sequences that have undertones speaking volumes but almost too quiet for those that have not read the book to pick up on. Characters were cast beautifully, and I found myself on the edge of my seat despite knowing exactly how it was going to end. What can you say to something like that?

Yes, I am bias on this, but i was so happy in the way they did it. All hail the creators of dialogue and its amazing purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment