Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lady Vengence

Lady vengeance 
With concern to the film Lady vengeance I write that I am surprised. The first 20 minutes felt like a foreign puzzle, which I truly enjoyed in an uncomfortable squeamish way. As the movie continued I was drawn in by the alliances she had made in prison more than the main character herself. She was background it seemed... A pale companion for these interesting people placed in her path. Her ways-to-means type of allegiances felt more like a large story that we only caught cuts of. 
I expected a slasher, and got exactly what it promised. Vengeance. But not the normal well placed justice/revenge plot, there was more emotionally (of course) than that. It brought me to tears at the point where the mother saw her daughter hung. Most of the children weren't tortured that we saw, for which I am grateful. For the implication was more than torture could have done.
This movie left space for imagination, space for implied narrative and story telling either cut or written to question. 
However I felt strongly on the subject that it was mediocre. Even with tears in my eyes I could not bring myself to like or sympathize with the main character, mainly because of those exact blanks left in story. The families and girls were the only impacting part that I walked away resonating with. Their grief in silence during the scene where cake is served, was the end for me. 
Lady vengeance was only important for her role in the jail to me. And I feel disappointed in her that she let THEM down. Outside of that, I couldn't connect.  
Not having or losing a child might attribute to that. 
But her friendships forged in the prison were intricate, the hardship of the Thief living with the very man that she was waiting to kill, was more emotionally jarring than she was. The elder lady labeled as a problematic Alzheimer's spy was more interesting.
The gap between how she was in the prison and after left so many holes that I felt like I was more so staring at some red eyelined Swiss cheese than a great female role.  
Heck, I was even more drawn in to the workmanship and effort on her gun than her personality. 

What does that say of me? Probably that I'm a horrible viewer, with a lack of understanding for the true meaning of the movie. 

But in this case...
I honestly think I'm perfectly ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment