Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Master

-->
 There is one word and one word alone that comes to mind completely when it comes to this film, and that is Vague. Though I would like to elaborate on that, it seems this movie had no intention of doing that.... ever. 

I walked into this film with a slight distaste for one actor, and a great respect for another. So I was ready for a mediocre movie, and that's exactly what I received. So I guess that's a plus. Throughout the film I watched Joaquin Phoenix play a tortured soul thinking, right. This is new; in fact this is exactly what I expected. The only difference is that this one in particular, Freddie Quell, has no history to grab onto, no torture that seems real in any way but the torture in his own mind and body, (in which he seems to inflict regardless of situation) Then I'm left wandering around in a quiet mindset of "why does Dodd (Philip Seamore Hoffman's character) make me just feel sorry for his ever attentive wife that you know absolutely nothing about because everyone's obsessed with a cause that you don't fully understand"

I felt myself swimming in characters never fully developed, hanging out with snippets of emotion and sexual fantasies, and facing flash backs like they were my best friend from 4th grade that I haven't seen in 20 plus years at an elementary school reunion. BUT NO, that would be too much information, you might actually GET all the undercurrents I’ve send out through the sailing water. The amoeba of the enigmatic never seen shadowy idea of "the Master" is played until there's no tune left in that lute, and as said by his son is "making it all up as he goes along" which is pretty much what I felt about the entire film itself.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment