Monday, September 3, 2012

Fight club



On the topic of Fight Club, I am always pleased. From the soundtrack to the scene sequence, it truly is a revolutionary film. I guess the only downside i find is all of the people saying that they "know what it means" they truly can see the millions of elements that mean so much to society. And the argument begins.

In this, i guess I'm going to speak on the elements of the film that i truly enjoyed. Not what I think they mean, or a profound cosmic realization. Just what I thought was interesting.

First, I want to start by saying this was not my first time viewing Fight Club, which makes the differences that you are content not to question in the first viewing, a little more obvious.
The first thing that I have to admire is the almost immediate relationship that is developed with our narrator. Through internal and external dialogue, I felt drawn in; I wanted to know what exactly was going on. Questions were erected that were easy to ignore, but picked at my mind. The screen shots of shadowed figures, maybe Tyler, maybe Marla.
I enjoyed his dialogue, somewhat dark, powerful, and cynical.
"Every night I died." It’s an emotional dilemma and addiction that he is content to have.
His priorities are confusing; you don't know outside of his consumer lifestyle what his purpose is. Then with the introduction of Tyler and fight club, I found myself excited if not only because there is a sense of direction for his life.

The part of this movie that I can't even begin to comprehend but somehow always draws me back in a doubled way is the fight scene between jared leto and our narrator. Mainly because the rules are broken. He taps out but is ignored; the narrator beats a man out of a jealousy he cannot yet comprehend as being jealous of the boy's tie to Tyler.
But is it only that, can we trust the narrator’s viewpoint enough to assume what we have seen is correct? Did he truly have no recollection of him being Tyler when Tyler knew the whole time that he was the narrator as well? Or did he?

This movie leaves me with questions that, I feel like if were answered, would take away the glamour of what I see. The mystery of fight club is what impacted me the most. At the end, there is more you don't know than when you began.

No comments:

Post a Comment